Bon Me Appetit #5: How to cook our Black Sesame Squash
Time to Warm Up The Oven
Nothing conjures up happy memories from childhood like the feeling of the oven preheating on a chilly Fall evening. You just knew that whatever came out of there was going to be warm, delicious, and filled with the distinct flavors of Autumn.
Well, we want to bring that feeling back. We're sharing our very new recipe for Roasted Black Sesame Squash with you. We think this side dish is a perfect example of using seasonal items to make a delicious, hearty and heart warming meal.
We kept it local by pairing up with Siena Farms and using their locally grown Delicata Squash in our recipe, and welcome you to do the same.
Here's what you need:
• 1.1 lbs Delicata Squash from Siena Farms
• 2 tbsp. Onion Oil (or any vegetable oil you have around)
• 1 tbsp. Black Pepper
Sesame dressing ingredients:
• 1.5 tbsp. soy sauce
• 2 tbsp. water
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. vinegar
• 1 tsp. sesame oil
• Black pepper
• Black Sesame Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Wash skin of squash and cut squash in half lengthwise.
3. Use spreader to scrape out seeds and strings.
4. Cut in half again lengthwise (to have quarters) and slice quarters into 1/2 inch slices.
5. Arrange slices on parchment lined sheet tray, coat with oil, sprinkle with black pepper.
6. Roast for 4 minutes, flip squash pieces over and roast for 4 additional minutes. Chill squash if you want to save for later, or set aside and leave warm to eat immediately.
7. Prepare the Sesame dressing: mix sugar and vinegar, stir until sugar has dissolved. Add soy sauce and water. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in sesame oil, until sauce is thickened and emulsified.
8. Mix Toasted Sesame Dressing with squash, garnish with Sesame Seeds and Bon Me Appetit!